this post contains affiliate links, which contribute toward my oat-milk cappuccino at no extra cost to you. thank you!
bathing suit / sunglasses / similar hat / similar water bottle / after-sun soother / sunscreen / sandals / book / towel / bag
Over the past couple summers, I’ve fine-tuned my beach day packing. Whether I’m headed to a pool or the French Riviera, here are the ten things I bring along:
1. A Straw Tote: Of course you could use a different bag, but it won’t be as cute and beachy as something like this.
2. SPF: As an easily sunburned person, I cannot do beaching without sunscreen (and an umbrella, please). I’ll wear SPF 30 if I want a little color, and SPF 45+ when I’m taking no chances. For my face, I can’t say enough good things about this Elta MD lotion – I use it every day.
3. Sunglasses: I wear these whenever I’m outside in summer, and they definitely make the trip to the beach.
4. Sun Hat: I love sun hats: they’re the perfect confluence of style and practicality – two of my favorite things .
5. Turkish Towel: These magical, fast-drying towels work equally well as a cover-up, a picnic blanket, and an actual laying-in-the-sand, drying-off-after-a-swim towel.
6. Water Bottle: This glass water bottle has been my favorite (and only) one for a couple years now. Just keep it out of the sun to avoid having some sun-hot water.
7. Book: Because beach reading is some of the best reading, and I can’t wait to get into this surrealist novel about Isadora Duncan.
8. Bathing Suit: Not exactly in my beach bag, but definitely essential. I can’t seem to stop buying one-piece bathing suits, and I think I’ll blame Jamie Beck and a lifetime of wearing leotards.
9. Sandals: Flip-flops drive me crazy, so my go-to beach shoe is a leather slide. I have and love these ones, but I’m still eyeing these.
10. Burt’s Bees Lotion: This lotion heals a sunburn like nothing else I’ve ever tried, and I’ve tried a lot. Frighteningly red skin looks and feels better in a matter of hours – if you’re fair-skinned, pick this up!
my free printable five-step
guide to packing light &
traveling in style